A new study by King's College London suggests that many people with a dental phobia could benefit from cognitive behavioural therapy. It could help them overcome their fear of visiting the dentist and enable them to receive dental treatment without the need to be sedated. Professor Tim Newton, lead author of the study, said: "The primary goal of our CBT service is to enable patients to receive dental treatment without the need for sedation, by working with each individual patient to set goals according to their priorities.”
The House of Commons Health Select Committee has called for ‘brave and bold action’ including a 20% sugary drinks tax and labelling of single portions of products with added sugar to show sugar content in teaspoons. Although the report is focussed on childhood obesity, dentists will welcome its call for reduced sugar intake as a way of preventing childhood dental caries. On November 30 there will be a debate in Westminster Hall on a petition to introduce such a tax.
NASDAL, the National Association of Specialist Dental Accountants and Lawyers has issued advice to dentists following George Osborne’s Autumn Statement. Their report says there may not have been any specifically dental measures in the spending review, it would be a mistake to think that it won't affect the lives of many dental professionals. In fact, there were a number of measures that could have a significant impact.
Henry Schein has announced that it has agreed to acquire a 90% stake in Italian distributor Dental Trey for an undisclosed amount. The deal leaves the remaining 10% share in the hands of members of Dental Trey’s founding family. The dental consumables and equipment distributor posted sales of roughly $49 million (€41 million) for the 12 months ended June 30, Schein said.
Kevin Lewis is to step down as Dental Protection’s Dental Director by summer 2016, having served in the role since 1998, it has been officially announced. He said: “It has been a huge privilege not only to work in this fascinating field over so many years, but also to work with such phenomenally good people.” Arrangements for the appointment of Kevin Lewis’s successor will be announced ‘in due course’.